Day 300|365

Today was day two in hospital; finishing up my IV Antibiotics and switching to pills, along with a few other drugs and laxatives, getting my catheter removed and seeing if I could pee naturally (I could! Yay!), having Florie’s hearing checked, and being shown how to bath her.

Here she is all snuggled up in her towel after getting her head washed by the midwife. As you can tell, she loved it…

At 4am one of the midwives came to help me feed Florence, and as I appeared to be stressing about it (one midwife had recommended pump expressing from my left breast to try stimulate the flow, seeing as Florie wasn’t taking to it so well. So I tried that, but nothing was coming, so I thought I’d try the right breast, and again nothing came. This made me worry that she wasn’t getting anything from me) she said I shouldn’t go home today either. This did not help my stress levels, but after a few more hours sleep, and a visit from a lovely midwife who reminded me that a baby is far more efficient than a pump, so she will be getting something from me, I remembered that she was filling her nappy regularly which was also a good sign she was being fed, and what I needed to do was have confidence. I found a way of holding her which gave her a good latch, fed her without asking for a midwife to check I was doing it correctly, showed that I was happy with how feeding was going, and politely asked if we could get home today. The response we got was a lot more positive, hooray!

After that it was just another waiting game, to see if they would have time to discharge us. My sister, niece and Mum came back to visit, as well as my Mum’s brother and his wife, so this time we wheeled Florie through to the “Family Room”, which could do with being a bit more cosy, if I’m honest. There was only a few plastic chairs and a telly in it and it was rather chilly! This didn’t bother Florence though as she was all bundled up, and she was adorably content.

A few Mum’s got discharged that day, and eventually it was our turn. The midwife went over all the discharge notes, gave me my big bag full of drugs, and said to let her know when we were ready to leave and she’d let us out the side door.

Matthew went out to the car with all our bags, and came back with the carseat. By this time it was dark and the temperature had really dropped. I wasn’t prepared for it, having walked in to the hospital on Wednesday night with leggings, a shirt and a thin cardigan on, so Matthew gave me his jacket and scarf, and we bundled Florie up in a fleecy hoody from the Baby Box, blankets and a hat. When we were all set to go and we walked to the door I fully expected them to say “What are you doing? You can’t go home yet. You’re not taking her anywhere.”, but they didn’t. We were escorted to the side door and let loose in to the world with our beautiful daughter.

I would have liked to get home in daylight, as these dark nights aren’t good for positive thinking, and when we arrived home I began to panic a little about if we’d done the right thing taking her home *face palm*, But I knew that I was just overtired again, and I’d feel better after some sleep. Sure enough, when I woke in the night to feed Florence I felt a lot better, and it was wonderful being home together as a family. Matthew was maybe wishing we’d stayed in another night though, haha! I’ve been used to getting up through the night to pee for the past 9 months, but these interrupted nights are a whole new thing for him.

Leave a Reply